Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Continued

From my previous post.

When all is said and done, what someone else said on that BBS I mentioned makes perfect sense. It went something like this.

"At the end of the day, it's just not worth it. You can't argue with people on a BBS, you don't know them and they don't know you and it's just not worth the aggravation."

Those aren't his exact words, but more like a paraphrase. He's right though. Why that person decided to round on me like an angry tiger is beyond me, when a simple explanatory post would have sufficed. This particular person is known for over-the-top reactions. just about a week before, he'd had a video removed from the same BBS because it was posted with no warnings at all that it contained disturbing content and the mod of that forum felt that it was put there to inflame or bait people. Now taking the video down was probably a bit extreme, but not beyond his discretion as a mod and someone else likely would have edited the video out and put in a link with appropriate warnings instead, but that's not what happened. The person then went on a (non-warnable that time) tear about it, then came back later and apologized, stating that a RL problem had prompted the outburst. To come onto a BBS and take RL frustrations out on someone who had nothing to do with this person's problem is inexcusable and his outburst to me, for whatever reason, was also inexcusable. I did not once come back to him in kind and explained myself as respectfully as I knew how, given the circumstances, then backed off.

It helps that I have some members who are backing me, not necessarily agreeing with my decision for singling out his post, but agreeing that his reaction was inappropriate and the warning was deserved. For that I am appreciative.

No comments: