Monday, December 13, 2010

Changing recipes

Sometimes it pays off to alter recipes, even ones you've used for years. I have a chicken/rice casserole dish that my mom has made for years that's very simple-line a rectangular baking dish with foil, butter it and sprinkle on a cup of rice. Mix together a can of cream/mushroom soup, a can of water and a dash of lemon juice. Cut up a chicken and dip the pieces in the soup mixture and lay on top of the raw rice, then pour the sauce over all. Sprinkle a packet of onion soup mix over all, cover with foil and bake at 325F for two hours.

Now, don't get me wrong, this dish is delicious, but I've altered it a bit over the years. For one, I'm the only one who eats chicken since Hubs and chicken don't get along, so while I still use nearly a cup of rice (love rice) I don't use a whole chicken. Also, it's hard to use just a part of a can of soup.

Anyway, I've tried different cream soups, from asparagus to broccoli to celery, and added in a can of mushrooms (can't get enough mushrooms). Each time, the dish comes out slightly different, but really good. I can't remember the last time I used lemon juice, but the dish doesn't seem to have missed it.

Today I'm using four split breast pieces and putting it all in a square glass dish. The pieces aren't terribly large either, so that's about right. I used about three-quarters of a cup of rice and celery soup with a can of mushrooms. This should make the dish more saucy, and I like that-saucy, but not too saucy will keep the rice from sticking together too much. I still cover it with foil, but don't line the dish, I just buttered it. And I only let it cook for about an hour, maybe a bit more, or I'll turn the oven off and let it sit for awhile. That way the chicken doesn't overcook and get dry.

All in all....nummy, nummy, nummy ;)

No comments: