Tuesday, February 4, 2014

I don't post as much in this one as I should. I don't post on FB as much as I used to. But I just tried something I've been meaning to try and never got around to.

Cornmeal mush. Sounds appetizing, doesn't it? If I called it Polenta would you want to try it then? I found a basic recipe here:

Polenta by Giada

The only adjustments I made were to add a quarter cup of dry milk powder to the water and combine everything before putting the pot over medium heat. Yes, you do not have to bring the liquid to a boil first. For this, for grits or for oatmeal, just combine everything, then bring to a simmer over medium heat. After it comes to a simmer, stir often to prevent sticking or scorching.

After it thickened into a Cream of Wheat-like texture, I put a couple scoops in a bowl that I had already chopped some peaches into, along with adding a couple teaspoons of brown sugar and a dash of vanilla.

Let me tell you, it took me back to when I used to eat Cream of Wheat as a kid, only I'd never put fruit or anything in it, just milk and cinnamon and butter. But the consistency....Cream of Wheat. The taste? A bit corny, of course, but delicious.

I've poured the rest of it in a Bundt loaf pan and refrigerated so it will thicken enough to slice, and then I'll try it in some different ways. I bet it'll go great with beans.

No comments: